The Kitchen is not my best friend
I was trying to make soup, nothing fancy just a package of top ramen the kind with instructions on the package. 4 simple steps boil water, add noodles, remove from heat, add packet of seasoning.
Somewhere between boiling water and adding noodles I got distracted with a phone call and well did you know boiling water can eventually evaporate leaving a scolded pot an upset mother and a stove that was never the same. After that moment my family had a simple rule “don’t ask Virginia to cook.”
Now don’t get confused I’m a lot of things a college graduate, a wife, a mother, a daughter, a sister, a friend, an employee, but the one thing I most definitely am not is a chef.
My sister always says I makes great reservations.
I’m a fabulous host I can clean, organize, fellow instructions, pick up ingredients and serve as assistant to someone else doing the cooking. And that worked for me for the better part of the last 36 years. I’ve been able to survive off reservations, fast food, prepackaged meals, my mom’s, my dad’s and sisters cooking.
Then the unthinkable thing happened I met my husband. How do I describe my husband he’s sweet, patient, hard-working and an amazing cook a man who was warned by my loving family that I simply couldn’t cook. Yet for some reason he still asked me to marry him. We had a beautiful wedding planned organized and of course catered.
Now being a newlywed I had this fantasy that I’d wake up and just be an amazing cook. Able to make every dish my mother and sister had mastered with ease over the years but that’s most definitely was not the case.
So at 33 I had the daunting task of learning a skill i had been ceremoniously avoiding for the better part of 2 decades after many trials and more than my fair share of errors I have most defiantly improved and even mastered a tailored a fair few recipes while also having a child, working full time and living through a global pandemic so a little applause would be much appreciated but that being said i still have a lot to learn.
Thus at 37th now adding the words Wife and Mother of a two year old very picky eater (she takes after her me on that front) I'm taking on a new task telling my story and in the process providing some recipes, new skills in the garden, some parenting moments, and a bit of everything else going on in my life these days because as a working mom and wife i have so much free time.
Honestly for me this will be a way of getting back to something i loved, writing and sharing my stories, its been a while a lot has changed since i started this little blog but what can I say I love a challenge and if I’m going to do something I’m new at and learning how to master I might as well do it on the internet with an audience of readers.
Till next time readers,
Comments